GEMTEC has been involved with the geotechnical assessment, design, and management of the Crane Mountain Landfill in Saint John, New Brunswick since 1997. GEMTEC's involvement goes as far back as the site selection process, where approximately 150 potential sites were assessed for geotechnical conditions, environmental screening, accessibility, hydrogeology, and socio-economic factors.
Services over the years have included:
- Designer and project manager for the construction of MSW containment Cells 2 to 9,
- Designer and project manager for the capping of Cells 1 to 7,
- Designer and project manager for the leachate surge lagoon
- Project and construction managers for the construction of a new truck scale
- Project and construction managers for the construction of several Landfill Gas (LFG) utilization projects.
- Clay and granular resource assessments, including Sealed Double Ring Infiltrometer (SDRI) testing for liner material approval
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) registration, including multiple base studies and managing the EIA process, for a new clay and aggregate source
- Construction and Demolition cell siting and sizing
- Annual environmental ground and surface water monitoring reports